CTI to perform USEPA remedial action at the Watson Johnson Landfill Site (PA)
The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Philadelphia District, has awarded a construction contract to CTI and Associates, Inc. for the U. S. EPA remedial action at the Watson Johnson Landfill site located in Quakertown, PA. The remedial action at the site will include the installation of a 23-acre multi-layer landfill cap (geosynthetics and soil), extensive stormwater and landfill gas management systems, and a variety of other related work.
Major items of work to be performed under the contract include:
- Preparation of site operational plans including a Safety and Health and Emergency Response Plan, Contractor Quality Control Plan, Environmental Control Plan, Traffic Plans, Contractor's Construction Operations Plan and Site Security Plan
- Site preparation including setup and operation of temporary construction facilities, setup of site security including temporary fencing, setup of decontamination facilities, and construction of a stabilized entrance and site access roads
- Development, implementation, and maintenance of erosion and sediment control measures
- Clearing and grubbing
- Selective excavation, regrading of site, and monitoring well modifications
- Installation of landfill gas vents
- Placement of an engineered, 23-acre multi-layer cap including placement of a foundation fill layer, placement of a gas venting layer, placement of a geomembrane layer (smooth and textured), placement of a geocomposite drainage layer, placement of a final soil cover layer, and installation of cap and perimeter drains
- Installation of permanent stormwater controls including swales, rip rap, stone, check dams, and associated structures to control stormwater
- Site restoration including topsoil placement, vegetative cover, wetlands, landscaping and permanent fencing
This project is CTI's first in service to the USACE Philiadelphia District.